When there was talk about period sewing baskets on the A&S 50 challenge mailing list, I decided that I want one too. This will be a long term project, whenever I find something suitable I will buy it.
So here’s a list of what I already have:
– wooden round box to store the stuff (similar to this one)
– period looking pins (mine look similar to these, here‘s a even better picture)
– a needle (brass, bought at a medieval fair)
– linen thread in white, brown and grey (on modern threadwinders out of pastic or paper)
– beeswax to smooth the thread
What I still need:
– container for my pins and the needle
– maybe more thread (linen or other fabric?)
– spools to put the thread on (I only have the modern plastic spools that you can buy thread on) or alternatively threadwinders
– probably a thimble, even though I don’t like the ones out of metal or plastic, they are not flexible enough for me
– probably more needles, different sizes if I can get them
And I want to make a small sewing kit like this one, but I’m going to sew it myself instead of buying it from the shop I linked the picture from.
I got wooden thread spools (from my grandmother, so early 20th century) which I could use for transporting thread in better way than modern plastic spools. We will have to see if I’m going to re-wind the thread on the wooden spool if I’m taking my sewing stuff to an event.